A personal injury can happen unexpectedly at any moment. If you’ve been injured, one of the best ways to protect your interests is to hire a San Diego personal injury attorney.
You may be wondering if it’s worth the effort and expenses to hire a personal injury lawyer. This is especially true if you’re inexperienced when it comes to personal injury matters. Here’s what you need to know about personal injury lawyers.
Personal Injury Lawyers Explained
Personal injury law is a specialized field that requires a lawyer who has a proven track record in this specialty. Not only can personal injury lawyers represent you in a court of law, they perform other functions that are necessary to a successful outcome for your case.
1. Investigation – Gathering evidence in a timely manner is one of the most important parts of a personal injury case. Your attorney and legal staff will obtain witness statements, official reports, photographs and any information that is required to determine how the accident happened.
2. Settlement Representation – If you’re under a physician’s care, your personal injury attorney won’t proceed with your case until the treatment ends or your condition stabilizes. After your medical treatment has ended, your attorney will proceed with your case by compiling your medical bills, reports and related documents. Once your these documents have been compiled, your personal injury attorney will contact the insurance company to discuss compensation for your injuries and medical bills.
3. Litigation – If your lawyer and the insurance company aren’t able to come to terms on a settlement agreement, your lawyer will file a lawsuit against the defendants. In some instances, your personal injury lawyer may request arbitration. Throughout this process, your lawyer will file motions and take depositions. This is referred to as the discovery process. Once the discovery process has been completed, your attorney will request a trial date and represent you in court.
What You Can Expect From Your Personal Injury Lawyer
Although a personal injury can disrupt your life, you must understand that the road to your settlement can be a lengthy process. For that reason, it’s essential that you try to be as patient as possible with your lawyer and the process. Here are some things that you can expect from the from the process.
1. Your personal injury lawyer may not contact you on a weekly basis. Each phase of the process is time-consuming. Due to the number of parties involved, progress can be slow. However, it’s important for your lawyer to keep you informed throughout the process.
2. Your personal injury lawyer should be responsive. When you leave a message for your attorney, you should receive a response within a reasonable period of time.
3. Your personal injury lawyer may advise you to settle your case when you receive a fair offer. Court litigation can be expensive. Depending on your injuries, it might be in your best financial interest to settle your case out of court.
A personal injury lawyer is an invaluable ally to have on your side after you’ve been injured. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help you navigate through a confusing process.